We want to wish all of our customers and associates a Happy Thanksgiving from Windows on Washington. Thanksgiving began in 1621 to celebrate the harvest and continues today as a day of thanks that brings everyone in this great country together. So in this month of Thanksgiving, we would like to say thank you to our customers for all their support through the last 8 years.
The A, B, C's to Roof Replacement
Most of us take having a “roof over our heads” for granted. Therefore, many homeowners are taken by complete surprise when they realize their roof needs to be replaced. It's important, however, that homeowners know the telltale signs of an aging roof so they are prepared for the inevitable process and cost of replacement. Learn the the simple A, B, C’s to roof replacement here, so you’re not caught off guard.
A - Assessing When Your Roofing Needs Replacement
Check for the following to see if your roof has reached retirement age:
- Missing, cracked, torn or bald shingles.
- Loose roofing material or flashing and wear around penetrations such as vents, pipes, and chimneys.
- Excessive shingle granules in the gutters.
- Buckling from improperly applied felt, wrinkled underlayment, roof deck movement or poor ventilation.
- Blistering from moisture in the shingle.
- Unsightly black streaking due to excess algae growth.
- Leaks of any kind on the roof deck or attic or signs of water damage in the home.
*Please note that not all of these problems necessarily indicate that your roof needs to be replaced.
B - Be Informed
- Do your research when it comes to finding the right roof and the right roofing contractor for your home. Find a roof that will meet your home improvement needs as well as your budget and a contractor that will honor both.
- Color - Choose a color will not only improve your curb appeal but also meets your HOA guidelines.
- Style - Manufacturers have unbelievable choices of metal, clay, tile, slate, wood and steel roofing materials as well asphalt.
- Durability - When deciding on the functionality and longevity of your roof, you must consider the geographical area in which you live. How much moisture do your receive annually? How much wind and how much hail will the roof be subjected to? These are key determinants in choosing the right roofing material for your project.
C - Contractor Choice
Make sure your find a reputable contractor to install the roof for you. We cannot stress this enough! You can choose the best roofing material money can buy, but if it is not installed properly then it will not perform as expected and you will be throwing that money away. Here are a few key points to remember when choosing a roofing contractor.
- Make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured. This bears repeating. Make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured.
- Ask for references and check online reviews.
- Make sure the contractor carries multiple product lines, so you won’t have to compromise on the features that your want.
- Secure a fully itemized estimate from your contractor to avoid hidden charges.
- *For more information on hiring the right contractor, click here.
Choosing the Right Material for You Roofing Replacement
How to Avoid the Storm Chasing Home Improvement Contractor
Roofing Gone Wrong - Time to Call A Professional!!!
Total Home Makeover: Standing Seam Roof, Windows, Siding, & Gutters
The Do's and Don'ts of Roof Replacement